Saturday, November 19, 2011

How did you decide on your major, did it help you find the job you wanted, and are you happy with your career?

I'm so afraid of going into a career I'll end up hating that I'll have to go back to college at the age of 40. Or even worse, that I'll be stuck in that career for the rest of my life. And yet, I'm 24 and still not out of college so it's like dammit I need to hurry the hell up.|||I picked Economics and International Relations as my majors for my degrees... and I like this because it allows me broad options. For example with economics I can work in the private sector or the public sector. I can work in policy or business etc etc. International relations is also a broad degree that has many possibilities. If you do accounting as a major then it's narrow and you pretty much know what you will end up doing...





I still feel worried that I will end up in a job or career I hate... but the reality is that unless you confine yourself to dentistry or accounting etc, your degree and experience will continously open up new doors into different fields and sub-fields. But did you know that alot of the times ur degree doesn't define your career path... for example, the ex minister of defense or something for australia had a Phd in the mating pattern of locusts!|||OMG, your question really hits close to home for me. I wish I had asked that question when I was your age.





I went into accounting a long time ago, and just last fall semester, I quit my job of 20 years to go back to school to take business management.





You're very smart to inquire about this before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment