Saturday, November 19, 2011

Successful professionals out there, how did you decide what job or area of work you wanted to be in?

I still have two years of high school left, but I've been (forced to) think about it more and more, I know what area of work I want to do, but how do I choose the college and specific job that is best for me? I'm grateful for any advice. :]|||I think taking a good look at your strength and interests is so big. For example, if you suck at math and science, it's probably best not to pursue a career in either of those fields (or let others--read: parents--attempt you to coerce you into them because that's what they want for you). Similarly, if you're good at math/science but hate them with the fire of a thousand suns, it's not a field for you. Your career one day should make your reasonably happy and provide some degree of security for you. For some people, it takes a long time to find what they love and are meant to do, so don't force yourself to stick with something if you find your interests changing.|||I always wanted to be an engineer. I can never remember a time when I did not want to design stuff. To apply science to create new and better things. I could not imagine life any other way. To live life without advancing mankind's total sum of knowledge would seem so pointless to me.





Now, at 57, I go into this office and do my hobby. People in the back make copies of the stuff I create and they pay me good money to play with all this gee whiz technology.





And now, my daughter is in grad school heading to a doctorate. There was never any doubt either that she would go to college and well beyond a 4 year degree. And she has already been on TV news as an expert on chemical plant safety, making it safer to produce necessary products with hazardous intermediate steps.





I cannot relate to people not having a passion for something. Surely there is something no matte rhow inane that you are really interested in??

No comments:

Post a Comment